Hidden Dangers of Commercial Cleaning Products
admin June 19, 2015 0 Comments
Most of us speculate that the cleaning products we use in our offices are safe and that they do not cause any serious health hazards. But these items of regular use contain some seriously dangerous toxic chemicals. Although manufacturers debate that the toxic ingredients are present in small amounts and cannot possibly cause any problem, routine exposure to these harmful substances is bound to produce immediate reactions such as headaches, skin burns, etc.
Here are some of the hidden toxins of commercial cleaning products:
- Phthalates - This harmful chemical is found in air fresheners, soaps and toilet papers, and can significantly hamper the proper functioning of endocrine glands if inhaled. Phthalates can also enter the skin through handwashing soaps.
- Perchloroethylene - Generally spot removers, carpet cleaners and upholstery cleansing products contain this toxic chemical. It is a potential neurotoxin and exposure to it results in symptoms that include dizziness and loss of coordination.
- Triclosan - Commonly found in cleaning detergents, this substance is actually an antibacterial agent, and is also highly aggressive in nature. Although the adverse effects of triclosan are still unclear, scientists consider it as a probable carcinogen. Besides that, it can also hamper the endocrine function.
- Quaternary Ammonium Compounds - These are found in most cleaning products labelled as ‘antibacterial’. Like triclosan, these are also antimicrobial, and can cause dermatitis and respiratory disorders such as asthma.
- 2-Butoxyethanol - This toxic substance is the primary constituent of window cleaners and imparts the characteristic sweet odour. The health hazards caused by this harmful toxin are narcosis, kidney and liver damage, pulmonary edema and sore throat.
- Ammonia - Generally contained in glass and toilet cleaning products, ammonia is naturally a very powerful irritant. People afflicted with asthma, lung issues and other breathing problems often feel uncomfortable on exposure to this chemical. Moreover, it can also cause chronic bronchitis.
- Sodium Hydroxide - Sodium hydroxide is found in drain openers, and is corrosive by nature. Exposure to it through inhalation and skin contact causes long lasting sore throats and burns.
- Chlorine - Among all the hidden toxins found in cleaning products, this one is the most common. Chlorine is a key ingredient of toilet cleaners, scouring powders, mildew removers and also tap water. The health threats posed by it include respiratory problems and disruption of thyroid.
For safe and toxin-free professional cleaning service in Chatswood, contact our professionals at Pharo Cleaning Services.